Online Degrees by Career
Art and Design
Admin. and Management
Safety and Security
Media and Visual Communication
Advertising and Design
Communications and PR
Digital Media Production
Medical Office Admin
Mngt Info Systems
Online Degrees by Degree
Distance Learning Resources
Learn about distance learning including the advantages,
disadvantages and more.
Search by School
Core Values of Distance Learning
These principles assume that the practice of distance learning
contributes to the larger social mission of education and training
in a democratic society. With that in mind, the principles reflect
the following tenets and values:
- Learning is a lifelong process, important to successful participation in the social, cultural, civic, and economic life of a democratic society.
- Lifelong learning involves the development of a range of learning skills and behaviors that should be explicit outcomes of learning activities.
- The diversity of learners, learning needs, learning contexts, and modes of learning must be recognized if the learning activities are to achieve their goals.
- All members of society have the right to access learning opportunities that provide the means for effective participation in society.
- Participation in a learning society involves both rights and responsibilities for learners, providers, and those charged with the oversight of learning.
- Because learning is social and sensitive to context, learning
experiences should support interaction and the development of
learning communities, whether social, public, or professional.
- The development of a learning society may require significant
changes in the roles, responsibilities, and activities of provider
organizations and personnel as well as of the learners themselves.
Source: Quoted from the American Council on Education’s "Guiding
Principles for Distance Learning in a Learning Society"